Part-Time Faculty, Marriage and Family Therapist
Statement of Supervision Philosophy
- Academic Training
- PhD, Specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy. Iowa State University. 2004
- ANASAZI Outdoor Behavioral Treatment program for youth. 2001-2002
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, State of Utah
- Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Areas of Special Interest/Current Professional Activities
- Compulsive and problematic behavior: pornography, media and gaming, eating issues, shopping, drugs/alcohol, etc.
- Faith crises and faith transitions
- Single adult issues (vocation, relationships, transitions, identity)
- Couple/Marital therapy: communication, conflict, emotional intimacy, sexual issues, parenting, divorce, religion issues, premarital therapy
- Multicultural/Diversity: Personal, relationship, social issues related to: race, gnder, class, sexual orientation, age, etc. Issues of social justice.
- Primary Theoretical Orientation
- Influences: Mindfulness, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Arbinger ideas, and Emotionally Focused Therapy for couples.
- Self-awareness, emotion focused, compassion, meaning/purpose, strength-based, collaborative, culturally responsive approach
- Recent Scholarly Works
Helfer-Parker, Natasha; Bennion, Kristin; Erickson, Marty (2017, July 27). The Collision of Belief & Practice: How to Maintain Appropriate Boundaries while Working with Mormon Clients. Mormon Mental Health Association annual conference. 3 hours.
Helfer-Parker, Natasha; Erickson, Marty; Wotherspoon, Dan (2017, Aug. 14-16). Mormon Matters Retreat: “Navigating a Healthy Mormon Journey.” Salt Lake City. 2.5 day workshop retreat.
Erickson, Marty (2016, Nov.). Overcoming the Fear of Being Alone: Marriage Prep on your Own: What you can work on now, even if you’re not in a relationship. Fall 2016 BYU Women’s Services and Resources Dating and Marriage Conference.
Helfer-Parker, Natasha; Erickson, Marty; Wotherspoon, Dan (2016, Sep. 26-28). Mormon Matters Retreat: “Navigating a Healthy Mormon Journey.” Salt Lake City. 2.5 day workshop retreat.
Erickson, Marty (2016, July). BYU CAPS Sexual Concerns Group Therapy: History, model, and preliminary research. Presentation at 3rd Annual Mormon Mental Health Association annual conference, SLC. 1.5 hour